Sunday, June 19, 2011

here's to you, dad

In honor Father's Day, here's a little something for mine - a little shout out on ye ole blog.  (dad, if you're reading this...consider this your gift)  ;)


Dear Dad, thank you for being you.  Thank you for always loving me no matter what.  Thanks for all the times you mowed the lawn in straight lines.  Thank you for the countless grilled meats, done to perfection.  Thank you for showing me the coolest way to rid the yard of gophers (remember the shotgun and milk jugs?  that was AWESOME!!!)  Thank you for your humor.  (I think)  :)  Thank you for taking us camping so often - I still love it to this day.  Thank you for buying me my first COOL pair of gym shorts (Umbro's) when mom wouldn't buy them for me.  (hee hee)  Thank you for cultivating my love of music.  (I still remember eating cheerios and drinking lemonade under church pews while listening to you practice)  Thank you for encouraging me in my musical endeavors when I was in school.  Thank you for the way you love mom.  Thank you for teaching me to keep my commitments.  Thank you for being handy.  Thank you for coming to my rescue at 2am to change my flat tire when I needed it.  Thank you for the curfews you gave me.  (now I know you really WERE giving them to me for my own good - even if I hated them then)  Thank you for exposing me to all kinds of sports - Go Hoosiers/Irish/Bears/Colts/Bulls/Cubs!!  (did I forget anybody?)  :)  Thank you for always directing me towards Truth.  Thank you for being an example of quiet strength.  Thank you for encouraging me in my present goals.  Thank you for all the $20's during my high school years when I was too busy with school to hold down a decent job.  :)  Thank you for all your wise advice.  Thank you for letting me be me.  Thank you for being the best dad I could ever need.  Today (and every day) I thank God for you.

I love you dad!

No comments: