Monday, May 2, 2011

makeover mondays!

Hey guys!!  It's Makeover Monday!  With summer just around the corner, I can't help thinking about fresh scents in my home, breezy colors in my closet, light bright flavors in my kitchen, and melodies blaring from my car.  There's nothing like the smell, sight, and feel of summer to brighten your day...especially Monday. 

10 ways to BRIGHTEN up your Monday

1.  Put on the garment of praise!   Huh?  The garment of what?  Ok...this one's important - so I'm starting with this first.  Last week in Isaiah 61 I read about the "the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness".   My study bible had a great reference that I'd like to share with you.  And I quote....

"The Hebrew root for 'garment' shows praise as more than a piece of clothing casually thrown over our shoulders.  It literally teaches us 'to wrap' or 'cover' ourselves - that the garment of praise is to leave no openings through which hostile elements can penetrate.  This garment of praise repels and replaces the heavy spirit.  This special message of instruction and hope is for those oppressed by fear and doubt.  'Put on' this garment.  A warm coat from our closet only resists the cold wind when it is 'put on'.  When distressed, be dressed - with praise!  Act according to God's Word!"

I just LOVE this word picture!!  Man...some days I feel like I not only need to put on the coat, but a whole blooming snow suit complete with the mitten/scarf/hat/ski goggles combo.  Can I get an amen??  :)  But seriously...just think...not only is our praise a barrier against the spirit of heaviness (fear, doubt, anxiety, etc) but that heaviness is replaced (lightness, brightness, peace, etc).  How awesome is that???

Picture this (side note :  when I say "picture this" I feel like I'm about to tell a Sicilian story like Sophia from the Golden Girls.  Hee hee.  Ok.  Moving on...)  One night last week (before I came across this nugget of goodness in Isaiah) I was laying in bed trying to sleep, but......NO GO.  There was a spiritual battle raging in my mind.  It was overwhelming.  I got up.  I went to my keyboard.  I pulled out some worship music and began to sing.  As I went from song to song, my burden lifted.  I wasn't aware of what was happening at the time.  But by the time I was finished, I was filled with such gratitude for who God is that I couldn't help but thank Him over and over.  I was able to give Him everything that had been burdening my mind...I was able to trust Him enough to take it.  Amazing!  My entire mood changed and I was free of the heaviness that had been filling my mind.  Little did I know that I had just put on the garment of praise.   What a gift of revelation when I read Isaiah 61 a few days later!!  Ahh...I love the way God works in our lives!!  He is real, people.  He is living and active and He cares about what you're going through.  I know that nothing can brighten your day, or life for that matter, like Him.  Go get your garments and praise Him today! 

2.  Brighten up your Monday (literally) by catching a sunrise. I know it's a stretch for some of us to even function before 10am + 3 cups of coffee, but there is nothing like seeing the day awaken before your very eyes.  It's magnificent!

Easter morning on the beach

3.  Brighten your day with citrus!  Nothing says bright like the smell and taste of oranges, tangerines, grapefruit, limes, and lemons.  Right now I am in serious "like" with grapefruit!  I eat one almost every day.  


4.  Brighten your home with fresh flowers!  There's something about fresh flowers that screams bright and cheery to me. We send flowers to people when they're sick or when they're going through a rough time.  Why?  To brighten they're day!  Why not brighten your own?  (or the day day of a friend)  :)  Right now these little darlings are available everywhere around here....and probably where you live too.  (who knows - you may even have some in your own garden right now)  Around here you can get a huge bunch for around 5 bucks!  Worth it to have a little beauty of nature sitting on my kitchen table.  Hmm....I think I'll go out and get some today!


5.  Brighten your home with the aroma of the season!  I snagged this little guy at Ikea for 1.99!  He and some of his buddies came home with me on my last Ikea shopping trip.  He smells like a mixture of apples, pears, and all things yummy!  He's amazing!  (and his buddies smell great too!)

6.  Brighten up your wardrobe with a great pair of sandals!  Nothing says summer like a fresh new pair of flip flops or sandals.  I love Old Navy's 2/$5 flippies, but so does my dog apparently.  She thinks they're chew toys and destroys them every chance she gets.  (especially when she feels I haven't paid enough attention to her)  Stinker!  So...I haven't been able to keep those around very long, but I got these bright beauty's at a sale a while back and I wear them every time I want to add a pop of color. 


7.  Brighten up your lips with this little treat!  I love Rosebud Salve and I love all things minty, so when I saw this I had to try it.  It's a treat for the lips and the mint isn't overwhelming.  Goes with me everywhere.  FYI :  It's available exclusively at Sephora.


8.  Brighten up mealtime with Tuscan Farmhouse Blend with Sea Salt from s.a.l.t. sisters.  I LOVE this stuff!  Right now I'm loving it as a rub on grilled chicken breasts, but it's great as a seasoning for just about anything.  Don't be surprised if products from this line show up on my Makeover Monday lists again...their stuff is just so good!  Try it for yourself!  Click on the picture below to visit their website!


9.  Brighten up your ears with sounds of summer!  To me, music is synonymous with summer and right now I'm loving me some jams.  Two albums that I can't get enough of currently are Adele's "21" and Hillsong's "Beautiful Exchange".  Adele because she's soulful, funky, and girl's got pipes!  Hillsong's latest because let's face it...it's Hillsong.  :)   Ok seriously, for me this album is a beautiful expression of the Father's love and the gift He gave.  And..."Like Incense/Sometimes By Step" is a new twist on the oldie "Oh God, You Are My God".  It's glorious!  Take a listen....


10.  Last but not least, brighten up your breath with these lovelys.  I love these and carry them with me everywhere...actually I'm out right now.  Whoops.  I guess I'll pick some up while I'm getting tulips.  :)  When you can't brush your teeth, these are the next best thing.  Love them!



Hope you enjoyed the 2nd installment of Makeover Mondays!  Go out and let the brightness of your Monday shine!  xoxo

PS.  Don't forget your garment of praise.  ;)



1 comment:

ajkauffman said...

Is it bad that the ONLY reason I was looking forward to today was to read your blog?? LOL How sad is that?! MOndays are my least fave day of the week so your blog gives me something to look forward to. Thanks!! ;D