Monday, May 30, 2011

makeover mondays!!

Happy Memorial Day everyone!!  We just returned  home from a weekend of camping and are coming down from our "fresh air high".  We had a blast!!  Between prepping, packing, cooking, games, hayrides, popcorn over an open fire, Reese's pb cup s'mores (TO DIE FOR!!),  tennis, walks/runs (to work off aforementioned s'mores), lounging pool side, a beautiful worship service in the middle of God's creation,  and time to nurture relationships with friends....we are spent and our hearts are full.  So glad today is a holiday because I needed this afternoon and evening to unwind and unpack.  (laundry is in full swing as I type)  I love days off, and today's post is dedicated to those beloved ones we call Monday .  Enjoy!


5 fun things to do on your holiday Monday

1.  Start your day out with a walk or run!!  I know it doesn't sound like something "fun" to do on a day off, but it really is.  There's nothing more energizing than getting up and getting your blood pumping with a little exercise.  Plus...as you're walking/running, you can soak in the beauty around you.  It was so great to take walks through the woods this weekend and get reacquainted with God's glorious creation.  As someone who's new to the walking/running world, I can tell you that even doing a little can make a big difference.  You don't have to train for a marathon on your first day out.  All it takes is the will to start.  Get out and get fit! 

2.  Talk to the ones you love.  Whether your family and friends live right next door or are thousands of miles away....connect.  Nothing makes me smile more than cultivating relationships with the ones I love.  I cherish coffee talks with my girlfriends, bible study nights with my chicas, skype dates with my siblings and their families (especially my precious niece & nephew), get-togethers with my husband's family, and weekly chats with my mom. Take time today to let those close to you know how special they are!

3.  Treat yourself to a little sweet.  One of my favorite sweet treats right now is the Maya Gold chocolate bar by Green & Black's Organic.  It's a dark chocolate bar infused with spices and orange.  It is HEAVENLY!  Now...I've recently cut out sweets entirely from my diet, but a little treat every once in a while isn't bad for the body and it's great for the soul.


4.  Get your vitamin D quotient.  I love getting out and getting a little sun on my cheeks.  I've never especially enjoyed laying out in the sun, but I love being in the water.  Whether it's the beach or the pool, if there's water...I'm in.  :)  And...some studies show that 20 minutes of daily sun exposure is good for your body and mood.  Hmmm....sign me up!  To quiet the sunscreen police I will add that if you're going to be out in the sun for long periods of time, don't forget your sunscreen!  ;)

5.  Get to paintin'!  Your nails, that is.  :)  I'm a big fan of either light neutral or dark tones, but on a whim today I whipped out this crazy hue....


 Sorry about the sub par photo quality, but it's a pinkish/coralish color.  I've had this polish for awhile, but rarely wear it.  It's Year of the Dragon by OPI.  Who knows how long I'll be able to tolerate it, but today I love it and felt just fun enough to pull it off.  :)  Go ahead.  Be adventurous and do something fun for your nails too!


.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .

On this Memorial Day, I'd like to thank those men and women who are giving or have given their time, resources, and lives to fight for our religious and civil freedoms.  I'd also like to thank God for giving us the gift of ultimate freedom in Him.  We are truly blessed!

No comments: